Vuity™ is a FDA-approved eye drop that could replace reading glasses.
Maybe you’ve heard. Maybe you haven’t. The first ever FDA-approved prescription eye drop to treat age-related blurry near vision (presbyopia) is now available! Now you’ve heard. 🥳
Vuity™ is made by Allergan, which is a well-established pharmaceutical company. In order to get these drops FDA-approved, Allergan had to conduct multiple clinical trials with a robust research design in order to prove that these drops are truly capable of improving near vision in our presbyopic patients. Yes, that means that these eye drops could potentially replace your reading glasses (shoutout to our folks who dislike the feeling of having frames on your face 😉)
You might be thinking: “That sounds too good to be true! How exactly does this magical drop work?”. Vuity™ is made of a well-established drug that has been repurposed in a new way for our patients who have trouble reading without glasses (presbyopes). More specifically, Vuity™ utilizes a unique vehicle that reduces the amount of stinging felt when instilling the drops while delivering the active ingredient 1.25% pilocarpine to your eyes. At this concentration, pilocarpine acts on two different eye muscles (sphincter and ciliary body) to make your pupil smaller. As a result, 3 things happen to your eyes:
- Your eye’s range of clear vision (depth of focus) widens, which allows you to see up-close objects clearly
- Your eyes become more myopic, which is why your ability to see far-away objects will still remain
- Your eye has less space to receive light, so less light enters your eye. This may make it harder to see things in dim lighting.
For decades, pilocarpine has been regularly used in optometry and ophthalmology clinics for exam and procedural purposes. The difference now is that a therapeutic purpose for it has been discovered!
Now that you’ve learned about how Vuity™ works, you might ask: “What can I expect from this drop?”. For starters:
- Cost: $80 to $200 per bottle, depending on which pharmacy you go to. Most, but not all, insurances will offer partial coverage.
- Dosage: 1 drop per eye, 1 time per day.
- Vision: Approximately 15-30 minutes after you put the drop into your eye, you should be able to see nearby and far objects clearly for up to 6 hours. The effect tends to be optimal at around 2-4 hours, and slowly wanes down by 6 hours. In order to prolong the effects of these drops, Allergan is conducting trials to see if it is safe for people to put these drops in 2 times per day.
- Side Effects: Some patients have reported eye redness, headaches, eye pain, blurry vision and a weird taste in their mouth, but the incidences of these are rare.
- Risks: Night driving is discouraged since this medication may reduce your visibility in dim lighting. Some patients experience an accommodative spasm, making it hard to switch between making distant and nearby objects clear. Patients who use this have a greater risk of retinal detachments as well.
Now that you know more about Vuity™, you might be wondering: “How do I know if this drop is right for me?”. Generally, we believe the best outcomes are seen amongst our patients who meet these criteria:
- 40-55 years old
- Healthy eye history (ex: no eye surgeries, no glaucoma, no abnormalities)
- Healthy systemic history (ex: no hypertension)
- Good dexterity and is skilled in putting drops into their eyes
- Low hyperopic or low myopic prescription due to the myopic shift these drops cause
- Strongly motivated to get out of their reading glasses
Are you interested in trying out these drops? In order to get a prescription for these drops, you will need to see an eye doctor who can evaluate your eye health, systemic health, and visual system to determine whether you are a good candidate. Here at Bright Vision Optometry, we would love to help you out! Appointments can be made online or by texting our office at 909-627-1111. We hope to see you soon!
call or text Bright Vision Optometry: (909)627-1111
schedule your next appointment online: CLICK HERE
the content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. please seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding your medical or vision conditions.
Bright Vision Optometry is a family-owned & operated optometry office located in Chino Hills, CA 91709